A winter-warming, customizable family favorite straight out of the 20th century!
Serves: 6 • Prep time: Cook time: Difficulty: Easy
Choose-a-Partner Tuna Casserole
- 2 cans (7 oz each) tuna in water, drained
- * pasta or rice ingredient, cooked according to package (see below)
- * frozen vegetable, thawed (see below)
- * sauce (see below)
- * optional extras (see below)
In a large bowl, mix tuna, cooked pasta or rice, thawed frozen vegetable and sauce. Add one or more extra ingredients, if desired. Turn into a greased 2-quart casserole dish, cover. Bake at 350°F for 50 to 60 minutes.
Choose a pasta or rice
- 2 cups (uncooked) elbow macaroni
- 4 cups (uncooked) broad egg noodles
- 4 cups (uncooked) large macaroni shells
- 3 cups (uncooked) medium macaroni shells
- 4 cups (uncooked) bow ties
- 1 cup (uncooked) regular rice
Choose a frozen vegetable
- 9 oz package frozen green beans
- 10 oz package frozen chopped spinach
- 10 oz package frozen chopped broccoli
- 10 oz package frozen green peas
- 10 oz package frozen mixed vegetables
Choose a sauce
- 10 oz can condensed cream of mushroom soup + 1 cup milk
- 10 oz can condensed cream of celery soup + 1¼ cups milk
- 10 oz can condensed cream of chicken soup + 1¼ cups milk
- 10 oz can condensed cream of asparagus soup + 1¼ cups milk
- 10 oz can condensed Cheddar cheese soup + 1¼ cups milk
- 16 oz can seasoned stewed tomatoes
Choose one or more extras, if desired
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 oz can sliced mushrooms, drained
- ¼ cup sliced ripe olives
- ¼ cup chopped green pepper
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped celery
Tuna and Noodle Casserole Florentine — Use broad noodles, chopped spinach, mushroom soup, and Swiss cheese.
Tuna, Broccoli and Macaroni Casserole — Use elbow macaroni, chopped broccoli, cheese soup and chopped celery.
Tuna, Green Beans and Rice Casserole — Use rice, green beans, stewed tomatoes and Parmesan cheese.
Our traditional family favorite — Use broad noodles, green peas, mushroom soup, a 6 oz can of pitted black olives, drained, and ¼ cup grated Cheddar cheese, half mixed in, half sprinkled on top.